Thursday, January 31, 2013

My background

I was born and raised in West Allis, WI.  My parents are married and have three children.  They are both catholic and raised us children in that faith too.  My mom is 50 % German and 50% Swedish.  My dad is 75 % German and 25% Austrian.  So I guess that makes me 65% German 25 % Swedish and 10 % Austrian.  My parents both grew up in Wisconsin, my mom in West Allis, and my dad around the state.  They were both raised in catholic married families, with multiple siblings.  My great-grandpa on my moms side came from Germany to the United States in the late 20s and brought my great grandma and my grandma over in the early 30s.  He returned from being drafted in the Nazi army.  My Swedish grandpa grew up in the United States and after going to Marquette for college he was drafted for the Packers football team. I think he went into the army instead, or got a full time job.  He  helped design the Jones Island place downtown Milwaukee.  I don't know much about my dads side of the family but they do have a special food they make, Poppy noodles! They grind up poppy seeds and put them on flour sugar noodles. I don't know where it originated but it's kind of a cool tradition.  Lastly, we celebrate all the normal catholic holidays like Easter and Christmas.  We do hide a pickle in the tree at Christmas time to see who opens up the first gift.  Other than that I don't really have any traditions that are " unusual " in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment